Activity hosting application: Time

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Mon Feb 4 01:59:50 EST 2008

  Hi, Jason,

>      I filed a ticket sometime ago (http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/5255).
>     I sure wish something like this will be incorporated.
>
> I think this should be covered in the dragability of each individual hand.

  Very good!

>      Another ticket that seems to inspire you
>     (http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/2778)
>
> This was the main basis for the project, and we believe we addressed all the issues raised in the comments.

  Some say that designing is completed when nothing cannot be removed.
In other words, trying to address all the issues raised by random
people is not always a good idea.  (It includes the issues raised by
me as well!)

>     discusses timezones and
>     collaboration.  But I'd say that these are secondary issue.  Who
>     believes that it is worth to pay the effort to have kids in Nigeria
>     and Brazil look at each other's clock and discuss something (Could
>     they discuss something worthwhile?)  If you can move hands at will,
>     that would be much better.
>
> The time game would allow for collaboration, and also for (perhaps) meaningful discussions between two children

  I was talking more about practical issues like the language
difference and (yes) time difference, 12 hours vs. 24 hours notation
difference, etc.  As you wrote below, kids won't "discover" these
concepts by their own.

  Do you envision that these two kids connect to each other when they
don't understand what the other's language and find a good time of the
day when they can connect, and discuss about an artificial and
abstract concept like time?

> As a child you can't understand time(in the form of a clock) until it is explained to you.   Which is where this
> activity will (hopefully) come in.

  I wasn't saying that kids can make stuff before understanding it.
There needs to be good guidance that leads them to the deeper
understanding.  (For some more background, refer to some discussion
around
http://squeakland.org/pipermail/squeakland/2007-August/003719.html and
hopefully the video linked from the email.)

  You wrote that your Time activity have analog, digital and natural
display of time but with these, you have to "explain" it to kids.
What kind of supporting material do you think is needed?  Can the
explanation be on the laptop as well?  Can it be interactive?  Can the
explanation and the real thing be seen on the same screen at the same
time?

  It appears that you are a high-school student... That is really
great!  Please don't take above as discouragement.  I'm really trying
to encourage people who are trying to make educational activity (as
you know, there aren't many for XO.)  It is really valuable to see
that somebody (who is young and close to the target age group!) think
about making activity.

-- Yoshiki

  Do you know Kathleen Harness?