performance work

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Wed Dec 31 16:23:06 EST 2008

What I find discouraging is mentally comparing the "responsiveness
in use" of F10-based Joyride builds against what I remember (perhaps
mistakenly) of responsiveness with Ship.2 builds.  [I don't
currently have a Ship.2 system on hand for direct comparison.]

Examples of my ("non-performance") experience with recent Joyrides :

  -  I use an external USB keyboard.  In Terminal, I type in a short
command and press <enter>.  It can take more than half a second (or
even longer) for the cursor to move from the line it was on (where I
typed) to the start of a new screen line.

  -  I click on an Activity icon in Home View or Journal.  Up to TWO
seconds later, the XO begins showing (and pulsing) the screen that
is supposed to indicate "Activity being launched".  [The only way I
can get 'instant' response from the XO is to elicit the drop-down
palette from the Activity icon, then click in that palette on Start
(if in Home View) or on Resume (if in Journal).  Having done so, the
vanishing of that palette is satisfyingly "responsive".  (Of course,
if I were to miss the palette entirely <due to my shaky hands> when
I click, the palette vanishes without the Activity being launched.)]

mikus