performance work

Wade Brainerd wadetb at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 16:14:14 EST 2008

Hi Greg,
I think there's actually a lot of overlap between activity performance work
and OS performance work.

The bottlenecks I encountered and resolved were in PyGTK, Cairo, the Python
interpreter, librsvg, etc.  These are the many of the same libraries which
are believed to cause sluggishness in the core UI.

Unfortunately, most of my performance success was had by replacing the
aforementioned libraries with custom C++ extension modules.  Each time I
remove some Cairo code and replace it with custom C++ code, the activity
gets faster.  I wouldn't advocate the Sugar developers take that approach :)

-Wade