Minutes of Power in 9.1.0 meeting

John Gilmore gnu at toad.com
Wed Dec 24 19:47:46 EST 2008

> Also, who is tracking the added ability to shut off power to the radio
> interface and its logic when the radio is set to off in its control
> panel (requirement 2)?

The difference between "Radio Off" and "Extreme Power Management"
should become that "Radio Off" still leaves the USB bus functioning,
though it will power-off the WiFi chip.  This would allow airplane users
to still use USB sticks or USB keyboards, for example.

Both settings should have similar impacts on power, since I think the
big power hog is the WiFi chip, not the USB bus itself).  I don't
think anyone has quantified how much power difference there would be, tho.

I added a section to the wiki page, mentioning related tickets, and
also filed a new ticket for the exact issue (#9145).  I'm beginning to
think that if we just fix #6995 (mesh icon in Frame that allows
picking Mesh channel and disabling it), then this control panel item
won't be needed, and the Frame will provide all the controls needed.
If you disable the mesh and you disconnect from any access point, the
WiFi will power down.  Simple.  It powers up when you turn on either
the mesh or try to connect to an access point (enter the Network
screen).  We'd have to fix the Network screen so that if you go there,
look at the pretty icons, maybe even try a few, then leave the page,
if you aren't connected to an access point (or mesh) when you leave,
it should power down the radio again.

	John