Weekly report and meeting reminder

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 11:41:33 EST 2008

Hi All,

I am on for a 9.1.0 meeting at 2PM US ET today (wed. 12/24). IRC
freenode.net #olpc-meeting.

Minutes from last week and agenda for today are here:
http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2008-December/021947.html

Here's my weekly report for week ending 12/19 is below.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

**************
XO Camp will be held at OLPC Headquarters, January 12 - 16, 2009.

This is an open meeting for technical design review of 9.1.0 features.
See the agenda and sign up to participate here:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XOCamp_2

9.1.0 target features are here:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/9.1.0_requirements#Top_Priority

Greg's user links of the week:
English:
Update on pilot in Nicaragua and links to two beautiful videos by the
great team at Waveplace:
http://waveplace.com/sm/mailing/mail.jsp?id=13&msg=1174

Spanish:
New blog for XO deployment in Colombia:
http://educacionitagui.blogspot.com/

Detailed deployment wiki for Paraguay including training materials,
educational strategy, active e-mail lists and more:
http://wiki.paraguayeduca.org/index.php/Portada

**************
New feature of the weekly report:
Open source contributor of the week

This week its: S (sometimes called Skierpage)
S built queryable and sortable pages using Semantic wiki for Activities,
Tests, Releases, and now Features. He also documented it and created
"todo lists" so other people can make their own or extend his work.

That's what I call first class software engineering!
See his work at: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Semantic_MediaWiki

*************
Status of progress towards last weeks goals:

1 - Finish collection of all main features on Feature Roadmap page:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap. Stretch goal to make that a
Semantic query with each feature having its own page.

GS - Done! All major feature requests have a page and show in the
Semantic query. I cleaned up all notes left by engineers and recorded my
changes on the discussion page. Please add any more feature requests as
described here:

2 - Update 9.1.0 page a detailed list of sub-requirements. Add detail to
the schedule and get sign off on it from engineering and QA. Engage
engineers to get specifications and plans documented for each feature.

GS - Done! Top four categories breaks out in to ~13 Top priority features:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/9.1.0_requirements#Top_Priority.

See them all on one page at:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Page_of_all_features_that_target_9.1.0

Next up is tracking secondary priorities which are also target for 9.1.

3 - Start triage of full feature roadmap to flag 9.1.0 items and
prioritize all items.

GS - Done! I chose the priorities myself so send me a note if anyone who
has suggestions or differences of opinion based on the release goals.

4 - Create basic presentation on plans for 9.1.0 and run it by main
customers and other stakeholders.

GS - Partially done. Created second draft but haven't presented it yet.

5 - Update School Server documentation with links to Readme file for
each main feature. Comment on XS roadmap and Moodle plan.

GS - Not done.

**************
Goals for next week:
1 - Move technical discussion forward on all Top Priority 9.1. items.
Update feature pages as needed. Choose second level 9.1.0 priorities.

2 - Finish setting detailed schedule for technical section of XO Camp
and promote the event.

3 - Update School Server documentation with links to Readme file for
each main feature. Comment on XS roadmap and Moodle plan.

4 - Add detail to 9.1.0 schedule and improve activities section.

5 - Add School server feature requests to Trac

Thanks,

Greg S