What's going on with Text To Speech on the XO?

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 16:31:49 EST 2008

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 1:22 PM, James Simmons
<jim.simmons at walgreens.com> wrote:
> Ed,
>
> Thanks for your response.  I never questioned that there was still interest
> in TTS on the XO.  What I was wondering is if there was any progress made by
> Hemant Goyal or anyone else in getting the Speech-Dispatcher software
> included with the Sugar distribution, if the newer version of Python that
> resolved the power management issue was included, etc.  I've sent a couple
> of emails to Hemant and haven't heard back from him.  I was wondering if he
> was still working on these things, or if someone else had taken over his
> work, etc.

I'm starting a textbook initiative, and haven't kept up with software
development that much. I would also like to have answers to your
questions, because we will need TTS for some of the early-grade
textbooks and for language learning.

> He was making RPMs for Fedora for installing speech-dispatcher.
>
> James Simmons
>
> Edward Cherlin wrote:
>>
>> Welcome back. There is significant interest from other organizations
>> in our use of TTS with text coloring. I have just started discussions
>> with the Doug Engelbart Foundation, Creative Commons ccLearn, Alan
>> Kay's Viewpoints Research, and OLE about a new project to create a
>> full range of teaching materials around Sugar. TTS-TC is important for
>> literacy, of course, and also for language learning.

And Children are my nation.