XO deployment count?

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 23:07:59 EST 2008

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 4:08 PM, Samuel Klein <sj at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 1:30 PM,  <david at lang.hm> wrote:
>>> In countries all over the world, XOs are *actually arriving in
>>> children's hands*.
>>> --scott
>>>
>>> [*] "roughly" means there are lots of minor details I'm omitting; Peru
>>
>> rough numbers are good enough for answering critics who claim that OLPC
>> is a failure, the only thing is that if different people give vastly
>> different numbers we end up looking like idiots.

The latest I have heard is more than half a million in the hands of
students, and another half million on order or in the pipeline. That
isn't good enough for updating the Wiki, but staff are completely out
of bandwidth at least until after the New Year. There are supposed to
be more blockbuster G1G1 ads coming, for one thing. We have zero
information on sales through Amazon after the initial best-seller
listings.

>> the deployments page mentioned above is not linked to from the main page
>> of the wiki (this is one of my gripes about most wikis, they end up having
>> lots of information in them, but the linking structure is frequently so
>> bad that you would never know it, which leads to multiple pages being
>> maintained by different people, with conflicting information)

OLPC Ghana page says that Ghana has ordered 10,000 units, and
committed to enough for every child. But there is no contact
information, and the Ministry in Ghana (moess.gov.gh) doesn't have a
page for the project.

>> if you could pass this along to the folks on the business side. they need
>> to realize that we are part of their sales/marketing force.
>
> You certainly are.
>
> The main page is editable by anyone with a user account; I encourage
> anyone with ideas about what should go there to add specific
> suggestions to the talk page, or to update directly if the change is
> obvious.  Most other pages, if you see that they aren't linking to the
> most current version of a relevant page, be bold and fix them.
>
> SJ

And Children are my nation.