What's going on with Text To Speech on the XO?

James Simmons jim.simmons at walgreens.com
Thu Dec 11 16:38:29 EST 2008

I've haven't been working on the XO lately (my basement office had to go
through Mold Remediation after a flood) but I have been monitoring  this
mailing list every day.  When I last did any development work on the XO
it was to create a mostly successful text to speech feature for the Read
Etexts activity.  Using this successfully would require some RPMs
installed on the XO that Hemant Goyal was working on for Fedora, plus a
newer version of Python that resolved some problems caused by
threading.  What I remember is that if you used threading at all in your
activity it prevented power management from working.

I've been cleaning up my basement after the tile installers finished and
there is some hope that I can resume working on my activity, at least a
little.  I have my XO upgraded to the latest release of Sugar and it
looks like Speech Dispatcher still is not part of that release.

I'm well aware of all the other work going on with the XO and I don't
kid myself that this should be a priority for anyone, but if someone
could bring me up to date on what's happening with text to speech on the
XO I'd be much obliged.

James Simmons