Bundling plugins with Browse

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Mon Dec 8 19:06:48 EST 2008

On 8 Dec 2008, at 19:29, Erik Garrison wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 12:04:23AM +0530, Sayamindu Dasgupta wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> We are trying to figure out a way to bundle the mozplugger plugin[1]
>> in Browse, so that PDF files can be viewed from within Browse itself.
>> Does anyone know how this can be done. Apart from the mozplugger
>> plugin itself, we need to have the m4 binary to help mozplugger parse
>> its config file, as well as the application which _actually_ renders
>> the PDF.
>> Normally we can modify the OS image, but it would be easier for us to
>> include the entire thing in Browse and make a new Browse bundle.
>> Any thoughts/ideas/comments ?
>> Thanks,
>> Sayamindu
>
> Why don't we just use Firefox?  It seems to run quite well on the XO.

Run quite well, on what planet? It locks up the XOs tested here with
regularity, and is now on my 'don't bother testing' list (until
there's another attempt). It's a memory pig, it's still got a UI for
nerds/geeks, and does not integrate well with the rest of Sugar (no
Journal entries/resuming, ghost frame icons).

--Gary