Cleaning up Trac for 8.2.1

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 12:44:45 EST 2008

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 12:33 PM, Chris Ball <cjb at laptop.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   > Since I think our philosophy should be that any 8.2.x release will
>   > only contain bug fixes that are specifically selected and
>   > identified as critical for that bugfix release, I would like to
>   > suggest that all 8.2.1 Milestone values be updated to a 9.1
>   > Milestone value with the exception of the eight from the ECO
>   > (listed below).  When those eight tickets are closed, 8.2.1 is
>   > done.
>
> This makes sense, but there's a reason we chose 8.2.1 rather than 9.1
> for many of those bugs, and we should try not to destroy that bit of
> information during the move -- it could help us to prioritize which of
> the "9.1" bugs to work on.  To keep track of this, we could do something
> like adding a keyword to all current 8.2.1 bugs before we move them.

I recall proposing something similar in the past, but I'll toss it
back in the mix for fun.  My proposal involved the use of wildcards in
the milestones, so that we could keep track of an 8.2.x pile of bugs
at all times, and then pull from that into 8.2.1, 8.2.2, etc.  When we
reach a point where we're consciously planning 9.1, we can push
everything in 8.2.x to 9.1.x and move forward from there. (We can keep
a 9.1.x pile and an 8.2.x pile, concurrently, of course.)

This way, we can maintain relative timeframes/importance of tickets
without committing them to specific releases.

- Eben

PS.  Perhaps you can combine the above ideas, simply using the 8.2.x
and 9.1.x as the keywords, if you don't want to add lots of
milestones.