spell checking in activities

Bastien bastienguerry at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 6 05:46:35 EST 2008

S Page <info at skierpage.com> writes:

> Bastien wrote:
>> When designing a spell-checker, we should keep in mind that the
>> spell-checker should always suggest correct spellings, and never
>> underline errors.
>
> I disagree.  I think the standard "red dots" spell checking that AbiWord
> and Firefox do is extremely useful.

It might seem extremely useful for adults who already know how to spell
words, who only do typos.  But it is misleading for children who *learn*
how to spell; it exposes their memory do the wrong spelling.  If you're
interested, I will try to provide pointers to some cognitive researches.

Regards,

--
 Bastien