Fedora 10 on XO

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Fri Dec 5 18:56:35 EST 2008

+1
In fact, to be specific, here in PerĂº, the former president of APESOL
(Peruvian Free Software Association) is sometimes quoted as saying
OLPC is pretty cool except for Sugar. I've seen this attitude among
many geeks here. That is fine, for it was not designed with them in
mind. Still, if a simple nice .xfce4/ is all it takes for a fair
comparison, sounds like a simple task any geek can do (thus the
serious proposal to ask OLPCNews).

2008/12/4 Jameson Quinn <jameson.quinn at gmail.com>:
> I'm in xubuntu (xfce) right now, and it is noticeably faster on my 1.2 GHz
> machine than Gnome (same kernel and everything). It also has network
> manager, automount, graphical control panels, all the mod cons. I'd say that
> if we could get something roughly nearing this level, then XFCE is probably
> the best choice, for speed.
>
> A good fraction of this work would be perfect for a newbie volunteer.
> Getting the volume control working, choosing how to trim the fat from F10,
> most of that kind of stuff is the kind of linux install fiddling that many
> people who aren't even ultra-hackers have been doing for decades now. If we
> got something working well and looking good, even using a handmade install
> that was well documented in somebody's blog, it would be a good first step.
>
> I bet if we posted to OLPCNews with the truth - there are definitely going
> to be, and probably already are, some countries that are scared of pure
> sugar, and are considering dual boot, but would be mollified by a nice
> polished XFCE/sugar dual-desktop - we would have new volunteers aplenty.
> I'll let the discussion run and hope someone else will do the honors of
> writing a page on the wiki and a call-out to OLPCNews, but I can do it if
> others agree it's a good idea.
>
> Jameson
>
> On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 9:28 PM, Chris Ball <cjb at laptop.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>>   > debxo manages to fit a gnome build in a small enough space to fit
>>   > on the NAND
>>
>> I agree that there exist smaller distributions than Fedora 10, but that
>> doesn't make F10 one of them (yet).  Still, it's nice to have a proof of
>> concept, and the delta of debxo's gnome.img - sugar.img (80M) tells us
>> that we might be able to get something acceptable, perhaps requiring
>> some package rework.
>>
>> Then we'd just need to turn Scott's Sugar+XFCE into a Sugar+GNOME,
>> and work out how much space we can use for GNOME apps..
>>
>> - Chris.
>> --
>> Chris Ball   <cjb at laptop.org>

Sebastian Silva