OLPC/SL relationship

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Thu Dec 4 19:29:16 EST 2008

(I've cut away everything else, to which I entirely agree)

Samuel Klein wrote:
>> We apparently discussed it for a while, but I still didn't get around
>> to catch up with my email.  All I know for sure is that this time I'll
>> just sit back and enjoy the conference as a guest. ;-)
>
> I'm sure you will enjoy that!  I didn't see it discussed publicly;
> pleaswe make sure that those conversations are on public lists when
> you are part of them.  I'll do the same.

It seems social interactions naturally drive people into choosing the
narrowest possible audience when presented with multiple
possibilities.  *Especially* for controversial or strategic proposals;
those where consensus isn't immediately clear.

When Red Hat was trying to push all their internal development traffic
out to the Fedora community, dwmw2 used to reply: "I will not answer
this message until it's posted on a public list".

Yeah, let's encourage an attitude of violence!!! :-)

> OLPC is committed to having sessions specifically about the XO at
> XOCamp the three days after FUDCon so that we can focus on shared
> goals and components during it (and so that we can have wrap-up /
> overview sessions for people working on XO planning that builds on
> whatever comes out of FUDCon collaborations).    I hope we can work
> out how to combine community infrastructure tracks of the two (and
> share resources to bring in community members from around the world
> who really need to build stronger ties with one another so that they
> can go back to assuming good faith on lists such as this one!).

Let's get started from a wiki page we could edit jointly, maybe?  The
FUDcon is a self-organizing event, so they have no defined schedule
until the day of the conference.

Se for now we might just want to come up with a list of proposed talks
and speakers for now?

One important note: unscheduled and unplanned discussions should not
be allowed to push back or even cancel the following talks.  This was
a mistake I made due to inexperience. No matter how important they
are, such discussions are better held during unscheduled free time.
</rant>

--
   // Bernie Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/
 \X/  Sugar Labs       - http://www.sugarlabs.org/