XO activity bundle .info format

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Tue Aug 26 22:47:41 EDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 9:05 PM,  <pgf at laptop.org> wrote:
> bobby wrote:
> it's helpful, but could be better.  how should i, an individual
> contributor with no particular "domain" that i own or belong to,
> construct a name?  the given example of "com.redhat.Sugar.BrowserActivity"
> isn't much of a guideline in that case.  should i just make one
> up?  (and, in the case of my one and only activity, there was no
> python involved, so the entire second half of the paragraph was
> inapplicable.)

com.gmail.paulgfox.MyActivity is a reasonable interpretation of the
guidelines (assuming you are paulgfox at gmail.com).  You don't need to
own a domain; you just need to have a reasonable claim on some name at
that domain.  Setting up a free web host for information about your
activity, and using that subdomain is reasonable, too.  Heck, even
org.laptop.wiki.PageTitle is probably a reasonable bundle_id.  It's
just supposed to be rooted in some actual DNS-rooted namespace, and
these days there are lots of ways to bootstrap that.

You're right, I should probably include some better examples and 'best
practices' in the wiki docs.
 --scott

--
 ( http://cscott.net/ )