XO activity bundle .info format

pgf at laptop.org pgf at laptop.org
Tue Aug 26 21:05:56 EDT 2008

bobby wrote:
 > On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 7:56 PM, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at laptop.org> wrote:
 > > On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 6:43 PM, Mikus Grinbergs <mikus at bga.com> wrote:
 > >> Undoubtedly people who are dbus developers understand the proper use
 > >> of the "organization_namespace".  But suppose someone in a far
 > >> corner of the world wishes to contribute.  All he knows is that a
 > >> three-part name-string gets applied to his Activity's interaction
 > >> with the rest of the system.  Since *he* never tests that name, he
 > >> may feel free to put anything at all into that name-string.
 > >>
 > >> I believe that life ought to be made as easy as possible for people
 > >> who want to enhance their Sugar systems.  Requiring "correctness" in
 > >> all parts of name-strings, when to non-insiders those name-strings
 > >> might seem meaningless, does not make their participation easier.
 > >
 > > Some time ago I tried to better document the expectations for
 > > bundle_id at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activity_bundles#.info_File_Format.
 >
 > I found this page very helpful and clear when I was first bundling my
 > activity back in May, thanks Scott.  I think that requiring
 > correctness is actually helpful in the long term, if anything we
 > should try to make the documentation more accessible.

it's helpful, but could be better.  how should i, an individual
contributor with no particular "domain" that i own or belong to,
construct a name?  the given example of "com.redhat.Sugar.BrowserActivity"
isn't much of a guideline in that case.  should i just make one
up?  (and, in the case of my one and only activity, there was no
python involved, so the entire second half of the paragraph was
inapplicable.)

paul
 paul fox, pgf at laptop.org