XO activity bundle .info format

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Tue Aug 26 19:56:07 EDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 6:43 PM, Mikus Grinbergs <mikus at bga.com> wrote:
>> ... found that people are using
>> 'org.laptop' as a prefix incorrectly (if everyone uses org.laptop as a
>> prefix, then OLPC loses the ability to assign unique names in this domain).
>
> Undoubtedly people who are dbus developers understand the proper use
> of the "organization_namespace".  But suppose someone in a far
> corner of the world wishes to contribute.  All he knows is that a
> three-part name-string gets applied to his Activity's interaction
> with the rest of the system.  Since *he* never tests that name, he
> may feel free to put anything at all into that name-string.
>
> I believe that life ought to be made as easy as possible for people
> who want to enhance their Sugar systems.  Requiring "correctness" in
> all parts of name-strings, when to non-insiders those name-strings
> might seem meaningless, does not make their participation easier.

Some time ago I tried to better document the expectations for
bundle_id at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activity_bundles#.info_File_Format.

If it were up to me, I'd just chose an opaque 64-bit UUID -- but I
think most people feel like a human-readable string "makes
participation easier".
 --scott

--
 ( http://cscott.net/ )