CIFS will be strategic in some settings, but not included in kernel

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 19:00:10 EDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 10:47 AM, Joel Rees <joel.rees at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm debating with myself whether to send this, because I don't want
> to make people mad, with the result of closed minds, but sometimes
> you have to be politically incorrect:

I think this will be resolved by whomever implements this, with no
need for flamefests :-)

In that sense, it is very simple - as a programmer, if I am going to
spend significant time working on a feature like this I want it to

1 - work for the deployments - this is the most important thing!
2 - work for G1G1 users too - they are the donors and enthusiasts!
3 - work for the developers - otherwise it won't get attention and bugfixes
4 - work in as many places as possible
5 - not cause security trouble
6 - enable sharing across the internet if possible

CIFS is only good on #2, and fails at all the other ones. It is a good
solution for a very narrow set of scenarios.

These are some of the key concerns in front of a dev planning to
implement some form of server-based filesharing. That's why I am
suggesting WebDAV - which is superior to this, and trivial to
configure on many platforms.

Code will settle this. Anyone trying to do a CIFS implementation will
soon realise that it just does not fit the usage scenario (not meant
for WiFi, userland usage, etc) and WebDAV does.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions