CIFS will be strategic in some settings, but not included in kernel

david at lang.hm david at lang.hm
Mon Aug 25 13:55:09 EDT 2008

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008, Martin Langhoff wrote:

> Printing will probably be handled via cups. We are missing a lot of
> infrastructure there (automagic configuration, quota mgmt, some admin
> tools, ui), and it does make sense to start building it. Just not
> using platform-specific tools - cups can take care of interoperating.

one annoyance I have with CUPS in current distros is that it wants you to
install printer drivers for your specific printer on every machine.

pre-CUPS what I would do is install the printer driver on the server the
printer is attached to and tell all other machines to print in plain
postscript to that printer and let the server deal with the translation.

with CUPS I seem to have to fight a lot harder to do this.

pro: client config is very simple, and I don't have to touch every client
if I swap out a printer

pro: CPU intensive conversion from postscript to printer-specific language
can be done on the (typicaly) more powerful server, rather than the
clients.

con: you don't get direct access to all the fancy features a printer may
have (but I don't think they would be available anyway, given the Sugar
emphisis on simplicity)

con: it requires postscript support on the server side, which is not
available directly on cheap network printers.

in the situation of the XO deployments, I really think the simplicity of
not needing to deal with printer drivers on each laptop and the ability to
move the cpu load to the server when printing should make this strategy
very attractive.

David Lang