Re: localization of translation efforts in perú

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 17:32:45 EDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 11:15 PM, Erik Garrison <erik at laptop.org> wrote:
> Sayamindu,
>
> Here at the Ministry of Education in Lima there is a person on staff
> whose sole work is translation.  I want to explain to them how they can
> go about producing translations for the activity set which is in the
> customization key which Ciro and I are building here.  What is the most
> sensible advice I can give them.
>
> Obviously we can create and/or modify the po/*.po files in each activity
> bundle manually, but perhaps there is a more sensible method of going
> about this work?  I would just create projects for each activity on our
> Pootle server, but I don't believe I have permissions to do so, and
> would prefer that the staff here learns how to manage this issue on
> their own.

What are the activities ? Is it the same as
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Peru_activity_pack ?
I would prefer that the work is sent into Pootle at some point, so
that the translations might be reused. Even sending me PO files will
help - I'll try my best to integrate them into Pootle.

> The most pressing issue here is that a lot of the activities they have
> chosen are named in English in the home view!  What is the most
> efficient way to rectify this issue?  Is it best to drop po*/ files into
> the activity directories?  I would like to find a quick solution as they
> are currently at the point of installing the activity pack on a lot of
> machines.

Just dropping PO files into the activity directories will not help.
You will need to compile them into MO files.
This can be done by

cd <activity_directory>
./setup.py build

This will
a) Convert the PO file into MO file
b) Generate the activity.linfo file which should take care of the name
translation issue

Do you think this approach would help ?

Thanks,
Sayamindu