Village Hosting request

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 17:54:26 EDT 2008

Can we adapt the game to fully collaborative play, where players try
to maximize community and total wealth rather than trying to get ahead
of everybody else? A focus on getting ahead leads to the moral hazard
of the familiar beggar-thy-neighbor strategies, that is, keeping the
riff-raff down and gaming the system in various ways to get special
favors while denying them to others. Like defining wage increases to
be inflation, and bringing the full power of government to bear to
prevent them. Collaboration, as in microfinance or the Sarvodaya
Movement, is the actually effective development strategy in practice.

See also Axelrod, The Evolution of Cooperation.

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 12:46 PM, Robert Myers <rmyers7 at mindspring.com> wrote:
> 1. Project name             : Village
> 2. Existing website, if any : http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Rmyers/Village
> 3. One-line description     : economics simulation game
>
> 4. Longer description       : game simulating simple economic activity.
> Buying, selling, trading, developing resources, competing and colluding.
> The player tries to maximize his wealth, but the village as a whole also
> has to succeed.
>                             :
>                             :
>                             :
>
> 5. URLs of similar projects :
>
> 6. Committer list
>    Please list the maintainer (lead developer) as the first entry. Only
> list
>    developers who need to be given accounts so that they can commit to your
>    project's code repository, or push their own. There is no need to list
>    non-committer developers.
>
>       Username   Full name             SSH2 key URL
> E-mail
>       --------   ---------             ------------
> ------
>    #1 Rmyers   Robert Myers
>    #2          Nikki Lee (possible)
>    #3          Andrew Bouchard (possible)
>
>    If any developers don't have their SSH2 keys on the web, please
> attach them
>    to the application e-mail.
>
> 7. Preferred development model
>
>    [X] Central tree. Every developer can push his changes directly to the
>        project's git tree. This is the standard model that will be
> familiar to
>        CVS and Subversion users, and that tends to work well for most
> projects.
>
>    [ ] Maintainer-owned tree. Every developer creates his own git tree, or
>        multiple git trees. He periodically asks the maintainer to look
> at one
>        or more of these trees, and merge changes into the maintainer-owned,
>        "main" tree. This is the model used by the Linux kernel, and is
>        well-suited to projects wishing to maintain a tighter control on
> code
>        entering the main tree.
>
>    If you choose the maintainer-owned tree model, but wish to set up some
>    shared trees where all of your project's committers can commit
> directly,
>    as might be the case with a "discussion" tree, or a tree for an
> individual
>    feature, you may send us such a request by e-mail, and we will set
> up the
>    tree for you.
>
> 8. Set up a project mailing list:
>
>    [ ] Yes, named after our project name
>    [X] No
>
>    When your project is just getting off the ground, we suggest you eschew
>    a separate mailing list and instead keep discussion about your project
>    on the main OLPC development list. This will give you more input and
>    potentially attract more developers to your project; when the volume of
> [...]

Silent Thunder [ 默雷 / शब्दगर्ज ] is my name,
And Children are my nation.
The Cosmos is my dwelling place,
And Truth my destination.