#8041 HIGH 9.1.0: Sugar lacks a "Trash/Recycle bin" system

pgf at laptop.org pgf at laptop.org
Wed Aug 20 11:16:52 EDT 2008

bastien wrote:
 > pgf at laptop.org writes:
 >
 > >  > >  - no old-and-backed-up files we can safely remove? Prompt the user
 > >
 > > prompt the user, interrupting whatever they were trying to get
 > > done?  that seems less than optimal.  if my current UI-of-choice
 > > implemented "disk full" this way, i would have long
 > > ago created personal mechanisms help me organize my work into
 > > "very important, must save", "would be nice to keep, but i can
 > > recreate it if i want", and "don't really need it, but i won't
 > > throw it away until necessary".
 >
 > That makes a lot of choices.

yes, but my point was that they're all choices we all already
make, voluntarily:  some things might go under change control,
and/or we rsync to another server for redundancy.  some things we
back up compulsively onto a USB stick we carry in our pocket.
some things we keep around, but don't back up.  some things we
download into /tmp, because we don't care if it lasts past a
reboot.  all choices regarding the importance of our data.

a data management UI must make these sorts of choices transparent
and easy.

paul
 paul fox, pgf at laptop.org