#8041 HIGH 9.1.0: Sugar lacks a "Trash/Recycle bin" system

Bastien bastienguerry at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 20 10:42:41 EDT 2008

pgf at laptop.org writes:

> does the journal have a similar way of marking entries
> as "feel free to delete this if i need the space"?  i think
> giving it hints as to what's expendable would be important.

That'd be better than no trashbin, but "feel free to delete this if I
need the space" sounds too abstract to me: it involves hypotheses on
possible situations, which the user don't really want to make.

With a trashbin, there is no such hypotheses, just simple actions:

- delete (put in the bin)

- recover (fetch from the bin)

- click "yes" when prompted whether it's safe to delete everything in
  the trashbin (the system decides under which conditions this happens)

This actions are accessible to the user in circumstances that the system
decides.  The user has not to consider what are the possible circumstances
under which she wants the system to take some possible actions.

Again, I know that the new design of the next Journal will make it
possible to emulate these actions (tick-to-make-expirable, untick,
say-yes-when-prompted-for-deletion), but I'm not sure whether the UI
itself will make the user *want* (or feel the need) to delete stuff.

You only want to clean your desk and put stuff in your drawer when you
actually have a drawer :)

>  > >  - no old-and-backed-up files we can safely remove? Prompt the user
>
> prompt the user, interrupting whatever they were trying to get
> done?  that seems less than optimal.  if my current UI-of-choice
> implemented "disk full" this way, i would have long
> ago created personal mechanisms help me organize my work into
> "very important, must save", "would be nice to keep, but i can
> recreate it if i want", and "don't really need it, but i won't
> throw it away until necessary".

That makes a lot of choices.

At least for me, I like when organization emerges from the use of simple
actions afforded by the UI, rather than having an UI that asks me to get
a bit more organized.  Then I feel too guilty!

My 2cts

--
Bastien