#8041 HIGH 9.1.0: Sugar lacks a "Trash/Recycle bin" system

Eduardo Heleno hoboprimate at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 11:28:41 EDT 2008

2008/8/19 Zarro Boogs per Child <bugtracker at laptop.org>

> #8041: Sugar lacks a "Trash/Recycle bin" system
>
> --------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
>   Reporter:  HoboPrimate       |       Owner:  Eben
>       Type:  enhancement       |      Status:  new
>  Component:  interface-design  |     Version:  Development build as of this
> date
>  Resolution:                    |    Keywords:  9.1.0:?
> Next_action:  design            |    Verified:  0
>  Blockedby:                    |    Blocking:
>
> --------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
> Changes (by Eben):
>
>  * next_action:  never set => design
>  * cc: christianmarc, tomeu, martin.langhoff (added)
>  * priority:  normal => high
>  * version:  not specified => Development build as of this date
>  * milestone:  => 9.1.0
>  * keywords:  => 9.1.0:?
>

> Comment:
>
>  The Journal is, by design, meant to make a trash system completely
>  unnecessary, on account of an incremental backup mechanism that allows
>  kids to peruse record of (preview, title, description etc.) things they've
>  made and since deleted (much like looking in the trash), as well as
>  restore individual files from backup if they want to recover them again
>  (much like removing something from the trash).  There will, of course,
>  also be a way to permanently erase entries which they don't want any
>  record of anymore (much like emptying the trash).
>
>  Obviously, at some point, there won't be enough backup room either, and
>  things will have to go permanently, but this can be handled in much the
>  same way that the initial deletion process happens, which, as is described
>  in many other places, should guide the user through their documents,
>  suggesting a number of entries for deletion based on some heuristics
>  (including backup-present, file size, favorite status, recency of use,
>  frequency of use, etc.).
>
> --
> Ticket URL: <http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/8041#comment:2>
> One Laptop Per Child <http://laptop.org/>
> OLPC bug tracking system

But my point was that, at the moment, you can choose to "Erase" an item, and
it's gone forever. I expect that many kids will do this, and will at some
point regret erasing some item.
I understand the idea of the backup system. I still propose for the
existence of a ~/.Trash directory, either on the XO, and/or on the users
/home directory at the backup server, used explicitly to store "erased"
entries, with strict limits on the size and age of items stored there.