reverting to ancient gstreamer, good time to implement change control?

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Tue Aug 19 14:23:27 EDT 2008

Hi,

I've spent too many hours on Record and there are still outstanding
blockers. I'm pretty stumped on one of them:
http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/7452
http://marc.info/?l=gstreamer-devel&m=121848539729018&w=2

And haven't even started looking at the others:
http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/7887
http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/7609

However, I do have a fix! It involves reverting to the following
versions:
gstreamer-0.10.12-1
gstreamer-plugins-base-0.10.12-4
gstreamer-plugins-good-0.10.5-7
gstreamer-python-0.10.7-2
Record-54

This is what we shipped in update1. Everything works rather well
(despite being told by gstreamer developers that Record's pipeline
should never have worked!)

After reverting, I will attempt to get gstreamer developers involved in
fixing those bugs. I wonder if the fact that we are shipping such an old
version would act as motivation for them to help fix it. I will try and
get them hardware through the developer program.

I can take care of everything on the Fedora/rebuilding side. RPMs here:
http://dev.laptop.org/~dsd/20080819/

How do people feel about the above?

Assuming we go ahead, I feel this would be a good time to enter change
control. We would only implement the gstreamer reversion in the 8.2
branch, and leave joyride with the buggy but current gstreamer. Any
thoughts on that?

Thanks,
Daniel