Tribute To Randy Pausch

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat Aug 16 19:46:46 EDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 06:31, Greg Smith <gregsmitholpc at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'd like to take a moment to respectfully mark the passing of Randy
> Pausch.
>
> I wasn't aware of him before he died but it looks like his work
> (http://download.srv.cs.cmu.edu/~pausch/Randy/oldRandyPage.html) was
> very relevant for our project. It seems like he was one of "us" (not
> that I'm of the same caliber).

He certainly was one of "us" - I met Randy at one of the annual
Learning Labs that brought together educators, artists, and engineers
for many years. The various groups (like Mitch Resnick's, Alan Kay's,
Randy Pausch's etc) discuss ideas freely and they continue to inspire
each other. For example, the Alice team experimented with tile-based
programming inspired by Etoys, while Squeak got a version of Alice
called "Wonderland" (and the Alice-sponsored avatars are still in
Croquet).

> Has anyone used Alice: http://www.alice.org/ and is it something we
> should consider for the XO?

Not for this XO hardware generation, it needs accelerated 3D rendering.

- Bert -