rainbow and pam

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Sat Aug 16 17:39:21 EDT 2008

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 10:15:08PM +0100, victor wrote:
> Aren't these priorities the same ones set in /etc/security/limits.conf?
> Or are they set by other means?

/etc/security/limits.conf is simply one vehicle (specifically, the one
used by PAM) for getting a uid-0 process (hence a process w/
CAP_SYS_RESOURCE) like login or su to call setrlimit() before running
some user-supplied code. Rainbow can accomplish this directly.

Michael

(I am interested in arguments as to whether Rainbow should be made to
interact with PAM and the 'login'/'session'/'terminal' concept cluster,
but I haven't yet gotten around to detailed investigation.)