rainbow and pam

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Sat Aug 16 00:51:58 EDT 2008

> Proper fix: make the kernel have a per-task inheritable upper
> limit on the real-time priority. Perhaps the existing limit
> (used for niceness) can even do the job. It's this thing:

I almost always have multiple sessions running on my XO.  If one of
those sessions provides me with background music, I don't want it to
"stutter" as I do other things with my XO.  For that reason I 'nice'
the task which is feeding the audio hardware (to have priority over
all other tasks).

So far (on recent Joyrides) this is working the way I want it -- my
audio task has a priority of -12 (that's minus !).  I get concerned
when there is talk of "improving" priority handling in the XO.  If
something were done that caused my background music to "stutter", I
would not hesitate to "patch" *my* system to regain uninterrupted music.

mikus