Rainbow cpu load when launching an activity?

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Fri Aug 15 16:58:41 EDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 07:31:28PM +0100, Gary C Martin wrote:
>I was curious to see (when testing in joyride-2301) that rainbow
>(python /usr/sbin/rainbow-daemon) seems to be the process that's
>eating the most CPU cycles during an activity launch.

Well, rainbow does a little bit of work in order to make a new user,
then it hands over control to the activity. Since we know that activity
launching is already slow (hence the need for the module preloading
hack), it's not very surprising to me to that you see it chewing CPU
when launching activities.

Feel free to profile, though; I'd certainly like to know it if I'm doing
something truly idiotic. (Or if people are using rainbow in environments
significantly different from my own.)

Michael