Rainbow cpu load when launching an activity?

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Fri Aug 15 14:31:28 EDT 2008

I was curious to see (when testing in joyride-2301) that rainbow
(python /usr/sbin/rainbow-daemon) seems to be the process that's
eating the most CPU cycles during an activity launch.

Is this related to the faster stream changes where modules are loaded
early by rainbow so that later activity launches can share them (I'm
hand waving a bit here without knowing all the gruesome details)?

Here's some numbers from a B4 XO launching** Browse-95 (eyeballed
using top -d 5, and tload -d 2, from a remote host). Other*** activity
launches also show a similar pattern (like Write and Paint, Calculate,
Maze):

     30-70% CPU for rainbow-daemon
     15-35% CPU for sugar-shell
     10-15% CPU Journal

** also tested resuming from the journal but the pattern was the same.

*** excluding EToys, Terminal, Log and Analyze, where the activity
python instance takes the lions share of CPU cycles.

Is this ticket worthy, or behaving as expected?

--Gary