what is a "Customization key" ?

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Fri Aug 15 10:48:07 EDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 5:22 AM, S Page <skierpage at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Not to pick on him, but Erik Garrison wrote:
>> I have built a customization key for use by Perú immediately following
>> provisional testing.
>> The key is comprised of the previously shipped Perú activity pack and an
>> updated content bundle sent to us by Perú and cleaned up by me over the
>> past day and a half.
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Customization_key doesn't say what a
> "customization key" is.
>   "The customization key allows you to install your own set of
> activities and library content on top of a signed OLPC build. You may
> want to include a named activity pack in such a key. ...
>   Preparing the key: ...
>   Using the key:"
> Is this referring to cryptography and signed builds, or is it just a $20
> USB flash drive?
>
> My best guess is the first sentence of Customization_key should read
>
>   "A customization key is a USB flash drive with special boot files
> that upon reboot will install activities, and optionally a new OS image,
> from the USB flash drive onto an XO."
>
> Correct?
>

>> Please download this zip file and unpack on a suitable usb key,
>
> I think you mean "USB flash drive" here yet there are USB security
> dongles and encrypted USB flash drives.  If it ain't cryptography, avoid
> the "key" word.
>
> Thanks for any clarification, I'll improve the wiki.

Yes, your understanding appears correct.  "Flash Drive", "key", "USB
disk", "dongle" -- there are too many confusing words for this piece
of technology.  Translating this is no easier; there are just as many
variants in other languages.

Even more confusing, we often use a "flash drive" as a vehicle to
deliver "cryptographic keys".  In that case, an "activation key" may
be a key in both senses of the word.

As you point out, I try to avoid using the word "key" for this reason,
but it is common colloquial usage (here in Cambridge, MA at least) and
so it keeps creeping into our wiki.  Your editing help is appreciated!
 --scott

--
 ( http://cscott.net/ )