what is a "Customization key" ?

S Page skierpage at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 15 05:22:12 EDT 2008

Not to pick on him, but Erik Garrison wrote:
> I have built a customization key for use by Perú immediately following
> provisional testing.
> The key is comprised of the previously shipped Perú activity pack and an
> updated content bundle sent to us by Perú and cleaned up by me over the
> past day and a half.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Customization_key doesn't say what a
"customization key" is.
   "The customization key allows you to install your own set of
activities and library content on top of a signed OLPC build. You may
want to include a named activity pack in such a key. ...
   Preparing the key: ...
   Using the key:"
Is this referring to cryptography and signed builds, or is it just a $20
USB flash drive?

My best guess is the first sentence of Customization_key should read

   "A customization key is a USB flash drive with special boot files
that upon reboot will install activities, and optionally a new OS image,
from the USB flash drive onto an XO."

Correct?

> Please download this zip file and unpack on a suitable usb key,

I think you mean "USB flash drive" here yet there are USB security
dongles and encrypted USB flash drives.  If it ain't cryptography, avoid
the "key" word.

Thanks for any clarification, I'll improve the wiki.
--
=S Page