Problems switching back from joyride-2290 to Update.1-708 (rainbow). Help wanted.

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Thu Aug 14 22:46:15 EDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 10:16:01PM -0400, Ton van Overbeek wrote:
>For my testing for trac #7788 I want to switch from Update.1 to
>joyride-2298 and vice versa
>(using alternate boot).
>After switching back from joyride-2298 to Update.1 most activities do
>not start because
>their home directory does not exist.
>I need some pointers where to look in rainbow how to get this two way
>switching working.
>Anything I can run in Update.1 or rpm to update to get this working ???
>One thing I noticed is that /etc/group does not have all the groupids in
>Update.1
>but I have no idea how they got there in the first place.
>Pointers to rainbow docs and rainbow changes between Update.1 and recent
>joyrides appreciated.

Rainbow docs are sadly out of date. *hangs head in shame*.

What's available is located at

   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Taste_the_Rainbow

and in various text files in the rainbow directory of the

   http://dev.laptop.org/git/security

repository.

The commit which broke things is almost certainly

   http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=security;a=commit;h=8fc1e8c3a7a67364f43741461f66b302d1697410

Let me know if you have further questions and I'll do what I can to be
responsive. Other people you should consider poking include
patchvonbraun, coderanger, homunq, and tomeu.

Regards,

Michael