sugar activity updater

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Thu Aug 14 13:10:26 EDT 2008

> ... Joe discovered some interesting hangs on
> laptops running the sugar activity updater. We believe that these hangs
> may be correlated with wireless activity and with the onset of idlesuspend

FYI - just an observation - NOT a request for help

I can't use the activity-updater in the Control Panel GUI, because
my outside-connection requires some environmental variables to be
setup before it will work.  Following a suggestion in the list, I've
been trying the CLI 'sugar-control-panel -g activity_update' from
Terminal (with those variables exported beforehand).

The activity updater seems to take lots of time when accessing large
Activities (e.g., the Firefox.xo file in the repository).  It also
produces LOTS of 'WARNING:' messages about the Activity bundles I
*have* installed -- should that be the job of an "updater" ?).

Inevitably, the activity updater reaches an error:
"sugar-control-panel: (110, 'Connection timed out')"

mikus

p.s.  I do not have wireless
       I do have /etc/ohm/inhibit-idle-suspend