Project Name: olpc-bundler has been set up

Erik Garrison erik at laptop.org
Thu Aug 14 13:57:36 EDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 01:34:58PM -0400, Eben Eliason wrote:
> For clarification, is this a tool meant to be used by content
> providers on non-XO machines, or an activity for use in Sugar?

Content providers.

> I ask because, ever since we first designed the Journal, we've been in
> need of an activity (which should be called "Bundle") which is
> specifically designed to manage a variety of archive formats (zip,
> tar, gz, etc.).  This activity is designed to provide an interface
> which allows organization of files and directories (in a hierarchical
> tree view), and can open or create bundles of any kind, or
> import/export individual items from the Journal.  It's meant to be
> generic, so that any random bundle downloaded or copied to the XO can
> be opened, but it could certainly be given some special buttons or
> features which assist in the creation/editing of library/activity
> bundles on the XO.

For the past several days I've jokingly been describing a hypothetical
activity called 'File', which subversively violates the design principle
of nothing-is-a-file implied by our current data manipulation system
(Journal) by allowing import and export of files from the datastore into
the regular filesystem.

Strangely, this is exactly what you are describing.  I will be happy to
work on it following my return.  But it is not what olpc-bundler is;
olpc-bundler is a repo for content-related scripts.

> It's possible you're just talking about a much simpler, one-purpose
> command-line script, which is fine as well, but perhaps this effort
> could be catered toward the creation of this much needed activity?
> Thoughts?

I think it would be better to implement the File activity for these
kinds of bundles, but at the moment just needed a public repo to store
content manipulation code.

Erik