Journal activity profiling

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Wed Aug 13 18:35:36 EDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 01:11:04PM +0200, riccardo wrote:
>>  Do you have any idea for redrawing less often?
>what do you mean ?

Think of the way that terrain based games use level-of-detail
computations (LoD) to figure out which portions of the screen need to be
updated. Think of the use of acceleration structures (e.g. k-D trees,
BSPs, etc) for scene-graph culling. Think of the use of expose events
and dirty-masks to describe exactly which parts of the screen need to be
rendered vs. simply blitted from elsewhere in video memory.

>from cProfile one can see every call to gettext.translation(..) always
>calls gettex.find() and spends there most of the time.
>Looking at the source, and if I'm not missing anything, the call to
>`find' isn't conditioned and the call-parameter 'languages' always
>defaults to None thus activating the logic to `reload' all languages.

Ugh.

Michael