Journal activity profiling

riccardo riccardo.lucchese at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 11:20:58 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 12:13 +0200, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 12:10 PM, riccardo <riccardo.lucchese at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Testcase:
> > Fill the journal with hundreds of entries and automate the
> > GtkScrollWindow in the journal to scroll one entry at time on a timeout.
> >
> > Build: joyride-2281

> > The test runs slower when the journal has more entries than when it's
> > almost empty, why is it ?
>
> Not sure, perhaps because there are more entries in the DS so the
> query takes more time? Can you check?
I cannot reproduce it by just adding more objects to the DS. I think I
had `particular' objs in the journal when I saw it: ie. if I only
push .xo packages to the DS the journal scrolls very slowly (after
activities get installed)

> > I find interesting to note that 28.5% of the total time goes to
> > `get_date' of Journal.activity/misc.py because of the ngettext overhead.
> > Perhaps translations could be cached ?
>
> Totally, but caching should already happen inside python's gettext:
>
> http://svn.python.org/view/python/tags/r251/Lib/gettext.py?rev=54864&view=markup
>
> If that isn't working for any reason, we would need to cache it
> locally in sugar.util. Can you check it is slow in Spanish as well?
> You may have found a very nice low hanging fruit ;)

I can see similar percentages with spanish (perĂ¹) translations ;)

Note that only the comboboxes entries get translated, the timestamp gets
always shown in english.

Thanks,

riccardo