Suspend vs Network Traffic - blockers

John Gilmore gnu at toad.com
Tue Aug 12 22:17:26 EDT 2008

> Waking up on all multicast traffic would not only wake up the host on
> Neighbor Solicitation messages, but also on all other multicast
> traffic the interface was listening to before suspending (e.g. mDNS
> multicast messages).

Sorry, I may have misinterpreted Javier's message due to his use of "all"
in the sentence.

Indeed, we *do* want to wake from an automatic suspend whenever an
mDNS message comes in.  The reason we had so much trouble with the
Presence Service and activity sharing in the presence of autosuspend,
is because the laptop wouldn't maintain its presence on the network,
and wouldn't respond when other laptops sought it out.  Laptops were
always disappearing from each others' view.  That's the thing we're
trying to fix here.

We don't want to wake on "all" multicast traffic.

We *do* want to wake on all multicast traffic that the kernel or user
programs are listening for.

(If every laptop is sending too much multicast traffic all the time,
such that we could never suspend for more than a few seconds, then
we'll need to fix that -- at the senders, by not sending it; not by
making the recipients ignore it!)

That's why we need the low level bits to really start working -- so
we can do system-level testing.  Last time we did serious system-level
testing, early in 2008, everything melted.  We identified a bunch of
complicated things to fix, and we've fixed some of them -- it's time
to push all those fixes into one release, and do system-level testing
again.)

	John