Suspend vs Network Traffic - blockers

Javier Cardona javier at cozybit.com
Tue Aug 12 17:44:58 EDT 2008

Ricardo,

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 1:03 PM, Ricardo Carrano <carrano at laptop.org> wrote:
>> Marvell will implement the new wow-signature API with the next
>> firmware release (22p18)
>
> Though I agree now, as I agreed in the past, that the filter is not
> easy to use, I would say that it was a mechanism already in place
> (and the filter would not be used by an end user anyway). If I recall
> correctly, the filter was compatible with IPv6, it was just terribly
> ineficient in doing so.

The two problems I had with the current wol-signature implementation
were usability¹ and the inability to configure one ARP + one IPv6
Neighbor Solicitation trigger on *each* the msh and the eth interface.

I would say that none of them are blockers, although the usability
aspect may prevent the patch to be accepted upstream.

> It seems to me that this old filter method (let's call it old) is the
> only available option to do it fast. Do you guys believe we'll be able
> to test a new firmware and driver and push it to a build fast?

Based on the time that we've been waiting for this, I don't expect a
new firmware + driver to be ready in time for 8.2.

Cheers,

Javier

[1] Having to know about Marvell's vendor ID, different configuration
for msh0 than eth0, filter rules limited to 4 bytes which makes IPv6
signatures hardly readable, inability to append configurations with
subsequent iwpriv calls...

--
Javier Cardona
cozybit Inc.