First impressions of joyride-2280

Ton van Overbeek tvoverbeek at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 09:17:04 EDT 2008

Richard A. Smith wrote:
> Ton van Overbeek wrote:
>

>> - The polling of the EC every 30 seconds has disappeared.  At least
>>   it does not show up in the dmesg output.
>> - More important, the touchpad seems to behave much better. May be
>>   related to the reduced polling of the EC.
>
> That makes sense if previously you were seeing jumpy touchpad behavior
> every 30 seconds or so.  During EC command processing the kernel
> disables interrupts which means that you won't be responding to data
> from the touchpad.  The update rate for the touchpad is 12ms so if you
> hang out for longer than 12 ms we think you lose motion data.  I don't
> know how deep the buffer is on the touchpad but it does not seem to be
> very deep.  The EC only buffers a single byte.

I might have spoken too soon.

Yesterday the touchpad jumping was back in joyride-2280.
In my initial run of joyride-2280 the battery was full and the XO
was connected to the mains power.
This time I was on the battery and the battery was running down.
In dmesg I noted a lot of EC traffic approximately every 2 minutes.
Does the frequency of EC polling increase when the battery runs down?

Also in the touchpad recalibration messages I see a lot of nested
calibration requests: several other calibration queued while performing
one. This does not seem right to me.

Again, Update.1 (build 708) behaves much better. For me personally this
(the touchpad problem) is the biggest show stopper for 8.2.0 !!!

Ton van Overbeek