[sugar] new 8.2.0 beta joyride - upgrading via control panel ?

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Mon Aug 11 14:16:33 EDT 2008

On 11 Aug 2008, at 15:13, C. Scott Ananian wrote:

> Please send me sugar logs for any activity update control panel
> failures, along with details on what activity it was attempting to
> download at the time.  Please be sure you are using joyride-2266 or
> later, and that you have suspend turned off.

OK, will do. Can you hint where update control panel will be logging?
I looked for them in vain when I was having problems with it.

> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 6:59 AM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com
> > wrote:
>> then one day, it just worked. The usual behavior seems to be that it
>> will succeed to upgrade most of the activities and report failures on
>> a handful, offering to try again (although it is not clear that that
>
> I am not terribly interested in bug reports on this particular
> behavior:

Yea Scott, this really shows, it's hard to know what's at fault when
things just stop for no obvious reason – but I know you core folks are
real busy, so I don't take offence and hope the rest of the Activity
developers don't either.

> this is caused by activity authors giving inconsistent
> information on the Activities wiki page and/or their update url.
> Please file those bugs against the individual activities; I don't
> particularly want to hear about them.

Has any one oficially put out a clear heads message for the Activity
authors, documenting the change for future release? Or are we all
meant to go geek through the updater source and try and work out
what's going on. I read the lists and track pretty closely, I'm sure
most don't, I think I saw a single paragraph kicking around the
wiki.laptop.org somewhere – hmmmm – OK found it, so this is now the
official request and we (Activity developers) should pick it up and run?

	http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activity_bundles#.info_File_Format

info File Format

update_url = ...

URL to retrieve update information; implemented in #4951. The software
update control panel will attempt to look for information about the
latest version of the activity by fetching the given url with first
the core OS build number, then the release number, then the release
major version number appended, then finally as-is. (For example, if
your update URL tag has the value 'http://host.net/bundles/FooBar'and
you are currently running release 8.1.1 (core OS 708), the following
URLs will be tried, in this order:http://host.net/bundles/FooBar/708, http://host.net/bundles/FooBar/8.1.1
, http://host.net/bundles/FooBar/8.1,http://host.net/bundles/FooBar .)
The contents of the URLs should be in the activity microformat. If no
update_url is specified, http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities will be
used.

--Gary