XO keeps staring at its own belly button

Christoph Derndorfer christoph.derndorfer at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 04:04:45 EDT 2008

On 8/8/08, Ixo X oxI <ixo at myna.ws> wrote:

> Some more 2 1/2 cents.....
>
> Sometimes when the storage is full (or near full), response time is down.
> (check in Terminal with 'df' and see how much free disk space you have.)  If
> downloading large amounts of data, or in process of updating, could also be
> the cause.
>
> Frequently, when I see such un-responsiveness..  likely I have clicked on
> an activity icon twice by habit, they are both competing to start up.
>
> Hmmmm...  maybe this could be a feature request for 8.2.0 ?  If you try to
> start an activity while it is still already in 'loading' phase...  prompt
> with 'Do you want to run duplicate activities ?'  or if the second click is
> 'close too' the first click.. ignore.. :)

IIRC something like was already discussed either here or on sugar a couple
of weeks ago. But of course I can't find the link to the thread now.

And another note (not specifically directed at you Ixo!): Let us all stop
trying to push every little thing into 8.2.0!

Cheers,
Christoph

 While in Terminal, also check 'top' or 'ps' for running process...
> 'uptime' to see the load averages.  See if there's a different between
> times..
>
> Good Luck,
> -iXo
>
> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 17:05, John Gilmore <gnu at toad.com> wrote:
>
>> > For instance - the XO has been sitting there for a minute or more
>> > (in Terminal).  I want to key in a command, so I start typing.
>> > Nothing changes.  I do *NOT* know if my XO is alive or dead.
>> > Suddenly (after one or more seconds) the typed character appears on
>> > the screen.  My XO is alive, after all !!
>>
>> > [I have 'suspend' turned off.  Using Q2E12f, firmware 5.110.22.p17.]
>>

>> This looks a *lot* like how an XO acts when Suspend is on.  See if the
>> power LED has gone off and just blinks occasionally -- that's how you
>> really
>> tell whether you are in suspend.  Power LED on steadily = no suspend.
>> Power LED off most of the time, blinking on = you're suspended.
>>
>> You have to look BEFORE you start typing.  The first key you hit will
>> wake it up again, but it takes the kernel about a second of powered-on
>> time before it becomes responsive again.  (We hope to reduce that
>> significantly, but it's hard work.)
>>
>>        John

Christoph Derndorfer
co-editor, olpcnews