Please help test our new 8.2.0 weekly beta, joyride-2263!

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Thu Aug 7 15:49:58 EDT 2008

Hi,

(Your e-mails are line-wrapped oddly at >80 chars, could you fix that?)

   > A pity you did not choose joyride-2266 ;-).  Joyride-2263 still has
   > issues when booting from USB or SD with a virgin devel-ext3 image.
   > In that case (no Activities included in the image) the initial
   > software-update aborts (See trac #7845). This is fixed in
   > joyride-2266.

That's fine.  The purpose is not to pick a perfect build, but to
document all of the bugs present in the build we pick (and then
to fix them).

   > I have not been able verify it yet, but even the not
   > working screen rotation might have been fixed in 2266.

Is broken in 2267 here.

   > On the other hand I know you have to pick a build, and with the
   > rate of new builds being produced in all the streams Tinderbox is
   > falling far behind: i.e. joyride-2266 finished at about 3:07 UT
   > today and Tinderbox started testing it at 18:31 UT more than 15
   > hours later. I do not know if you can throw better/faster hardware
   > at tinderbox, but it might be worth considering with the current
   > build rate on several streams at once.

The bottleneck is in the XO hardware that all of the tests run on (and
the number of tests we choose to do), rather than in hardware that we
can upgrade.  I share your concern, though; there are more than ten
builds waiting to be tested on the faster branch, which is going to
take over 30 hours to test.  I guess we'll catch up over the weekend..

  > Anyway I'll file my reports on joyride-2266 if you do not mind ...

Not at all.  Testing against the daily builds is preferable to testing
against the weekly builds; the weekly builds are there for people who
can't keep up with the daily builds, and who want to test against a
build that has passed our basic smoke tests and is likely to "work".

Thanks,

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb at laptop.org>