[sugar] Question about clipboard service

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Wed Aug 6 17:30:10 EDT 2008

On 6 Aug 2008, at 17:32, Eben Eliason wrote:

> Step by step. I limit the example to 2 kids for simplicity; the method
> scales naturally.
>
> 1. Kid A starts an activity
> 2. Kid A shares the activity
> 3. Kid B joins the activity
> 4. Kids A and B collaborate (synchronously) in the activity
> 5. Kids A and B go home
> 6. Either kid A, kid B, or both work in the activity (asynchronously)
> 7. Kids A and B come back to school
> 8. Kid A opens his version of the activity*
> 9. Kid B joins A's version of the activity
> 10. Kid B opens his own version of the activity**
> 11. Kid B copies part of his own version to the clipboard
> 12. Kid B pastes that clipping into A's version of the activity
> 13. Kid B closes his own version of the activity
> 14. Kids A and B continue working (synchonously) in the merged
> activity (formerly A's version)***

Here's my spin on this (a natural language version):

1. Teacher assigns kid A, B and C to interview different members of
their local community
2. Kids A, B and C have a period of time to talk, document, and
perhaps take photos with interviewee
3. Back at school, either one of kid A, B or C starts a shared
activity**
4. The other 2 kids join the activity
5. All 3 kids collaborate (synchronously) in the activity ***
6. Kids A, B and/or C copy/paste in content they have collected/
generated (asynchronously).
7. Final document assignment is shared with the teacher for marking
their group's project.

** Write, of course, it's quite the collaborative gem.

*** doing this step back at school allows them to sit together and
talk about what they are doing while editing a shared document, I'm
not convinced any but the older age range could co-ordinate their
document editing efforts virtually in text alone.

--Gary