8.1.1 Finalization Steps

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 14:47:35 EDT 2008

Hi All,

I executed the following 4 steps to finalize the release of build
708 as release 8.1.1.

1 - Edit and update the release notes for accuracy and explaining the
relevant options. Will also make sure SD card issue is highlighted.
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/8.1.1
GS - Done. Please re-read and send me any edits or comments that you have.

2 - Get the image moved from candidate to official directory
GS - Done by Michael. Final image is at:
http://download.laptop.org/xo-1/os/official/708/jffs2/

3 - Sign the dotted line and close ECO 5 once and for all.
GS - Done. See http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_SW-ECO_5

4 - Checked the install via USB clean install, Olpc-update over
Internet and Olpc-update via USB.
GS - Done as follows:
- Clean install from USB from 656 to 708 and 703 to 708 per:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Secure_upgrade#Steps_for_Secured_Upgrade.2C_in_Plain_English

- USB Upgrade from 656 to 708 and 703 to 708 per:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Olpc-update#Simple_Offline_Upgrade

- Internet upgrade from 656 to 708 and 703 to 708

If anyone has concerns about making this release "official", please
speak now or forever hold your peace!

There wont be a big push or announcement on this one, just another image
available for download and updated wiki pages.

Unless I hear serious objections I will execute the following two steps
before end of day Friday and call it done. Let me know if there is
anything else we need to do.

5 - Update releases Wiki page (and any other releases pages) to call it
public:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Releases#8.1.1_-_Future

6 - Send an e-mail to devel, support and other lists sayings its
publicly available.

Thanks,

Greg S