Test results on Joyride 2230?

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Tue Aug 5 08:27:13 EDT 2008

On 5 Aug 2008, at 12:38, Greg Smith wrote:

> Can we get a "show of hands" on who downloaded joyride 2230?
>
> If you didn't try it yet, instructions for downloading it are
> available
> at: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Friends_in_testing
>
> If you did install it, can you send a quick reply. Any comments on
> what
> you tried and your impression of its stability is also welcome.

Installed it, used it for a few days, but had already moved on by the
time it was announced as a Wednesday candidate, can't remember
specifics but if I found any I would have added a track ticket.

Couple of general comments:

1). Out of interest, I'm not clear of the philosophy behind
recommending folks to test days old joyride builds, unless the main
goal is to increase the quality of what testers are testing (though
that seems a bit of an oxymoron, "here, test this, it works reasonably
well already"). With the O gamepad key graciously getting you back to
your previous working OS, in one reboot, the risk for testers on the
joyride bleeding edge seems pretty low.

2). I keep seeing testing/release wiki links flying about, I do go
look at them, just incase (and even occasionally edit), but the
content seems to bit rot so quickly I switch back to using track
(dev.laptop.org). Are the wiki pages just an attempt to lower the bar
for entry? Could it be possible to generate reasonably human pretty**
pages from track so the information is actually up-to-date and doesn't
need entry in multiple places?

** track report pages I've seen tend to be pretty geeky, obscure and
eye watering (can templates be used to make them more human
friendly?). The one exception that I find genuinely useful is:

	http://dev.laptop.org/timeline

Regards,
--Gary