Collaboration Requirements

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 01:16:07 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 2:21 PM, Greg Smith <gregsmitholpc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I wrote up some collaboration requirements to help get us to a
> definition of collaboration support that teachers can use in schools.

Thanks. It is not clear to me whether you mean to include the case of
children at different schools collaborating, even in different
countries. This will be vital for language learning, and important for
many other educational and other functions.

> [...]
>
> N8 - In N5 above must allow up to 1500 XOs within range in the school.
> Can require that all other XOs aside from those collaborating have their
> antennas turned off.
>
> N9 - Must allow 50 (should allow 100, nice to have 300) other XOs within
> range in the school where all XOs have their radios turned on. Can
> require that only those collaborating are using the network (AKA
> everyone else is verbally asked to stop using the Internet and stop
> collaborating) but they can leave their XO radios on in scenario S1
>
> N10 - Must allow 50 (should allow 100, nice to have 300) XOs within
> range in the school where all XOs have their radios turned on. Can
> require that only those collaborating are using the network (AKA no
> collaboration and no Internet access) in scenario S2.
>
> N11 - Must allow 50 (should allow 100, nice to have 300) XOs within
> range in the school where all XOs have their radios turned on. Can
> require that only those collaborating are on a given Mesh channel (1,6
> or 11) while all the other XOs are on different Mesh channels in scenario S3
>
> III Types of collaboration
>
> In all cases, a single XO starts activity, then shares it, then other
> XOs join the shared activity.
>
> N12 - Must support up to 3 XOs using an activity and all others XOs (as
> allowed by the scale) watching what happens on that screen.
>
> N14 - Should support 10 XOs (as allowed by scale) using an activity
> simultaneously.
>
> N15 - Nice to have all XOs as allowed by scale using an activity
> simultaneously.
>
> N16 - Must support pairs of two XOs collaborating with each other up to
> the number of XOs supported by scale.
>
> N17 - Should support all the partitions of XOs collaborating with each
> other (e.g. with 6 XOs, allow 2,2,2 and 3,3 and 4,1,1 etc).
>
> N16 - Where an activity allows saving, must support saving at any time
> where the XO which saves gets a current copy of the shared file. If its
> a "save as" or "save" but not exit action then the XO which saves
> returns to the shared view. Where its an automatic "save" by leaving the
> activity, the journal must store a current copy of the shared file. All
> of these saving actions must not interfere in any way with the saved  or
> shared file on the other XOs or with the collaboration or network
> connectivity of any XOs.
>
> IV - Activity Level Details
> N17 - Must support Chat
>
> N18 - Must support Write including adding pictures, formatting with
> tables and other write tasks.
>
> N19- Must support record including sharing pictures and recorded video
> with audio.
>
> N20 - Must support Read
>
> N21 - Must support eToys
>
> N22 - Should support other activities listed at:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Collaboration_Central
>
> That's it! Do that and version 10.2 will be coded by kids who grew up

Silent Thunder [默雷/शब्दगर्ज] is my name,
And Children are my nation.
The whole world is my dwelling place,
And Truth my destination.