Terminals

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Fri Aug 1 09:45:38 EDT 2008

On 1 Aug 2008, at 03:25, Walter Bender wrote:

> Curious as to what occasions need root access within X Windows? Maybe
> the console is enough?
>
> -walter

I don't think I've used the console in months, nice to know it's there
in an emergency, but it was problematic to use for normal admin tasks
for two reasons:

1) The keyboard map does not match the machines actual keyboard, so
trying to remember US key layout on a Spanish keypad is a
nightmare :-) Anyone know any tricks to correct that?

2) Often the olpc related scripts I'd be trying to use would have some
hooks into X, and other environment variables. Without a lot of env
hacking/guessing they would just bomb out in console.

> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 9:38 PM, Michael Stone <michael at laptop.org>
> wrote:
>> One of our present security difficulties is that the Terminal
>> activity
>> is not isolated. It is de-isolated so that it can serve the dual
>> role of
>> root terminal and 'general exploration' terminal. Perhaps reviving
>> the
>> Quake Terminal for the root-terminal role and isolating the Terminal
>> activity proper would be a nice way to solve half of our security
>> issue?

--Gary