Journal Suggestion

James Simmons jim.simmons at walgreens.com
Mon Apr 28 15:26:54 EDT 2008

I, too have suggestions for the Journal:

1).  The Journal should show, as a percentage perhaps, how much disk
space is free in the Journal, or in whatever removeable media (SD card,
Thumb drive) the user is currently looking at.  It should give some kind
of warning cue when the disk space is dangerously low.  The Freevo PVR
project does something like this.  A full Journal drive can make the XO
unbootable.
2).  The problem with custom metadata like page numbers not being saved
across a reboot should be fixed.
3).  Metadata should be saved when the user is loading data from
removeable media.  For instance, if I keep books on my SD card or thumb
drive, I should be able to return to the saved page number, and also see
a screenshot of the page I left off on.
4).  It should be possible to specify for certain Activities that they
should *not* create Journal entries, ever.  I'm thinking of the Terminal
activity and the Log Viewer activity specifically.  The entries for
these activities don't preserve the state of when they were last used
(and probably should not do so) so there isn't much point in making
Journal entries for them.  Resuming them is no different that launching
them anew from the menu.  We already have a way of specifying that an
Activity not appear in the menu.  This would be an extension of that idea.
5).  For extra credit, make the Journal able to do something with
read-only removeable media like CDs and DVDs.  I'm thinking for instance
of letting the user copy a file from a CD into a new Journal entry.
Obviously not needed for the XO, but if Sugar was to become a product
separate from the XO but aimed at the same audience (poor children
needing education) this would be a useful feature.

I think Jacob's suggestion has some merit as well.

James Simmmons