[sugar] Sugar\Windows won't ship

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpgritti at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 06:14:33 EDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 9:59 AM, John Gilmore <gnu at toad.com> wrote:
> > I'll say that the impression that I have received as an outsider is that
>  > the people working on Sugar have not at all been interested in
>  > compatibility with normal linux software.
>
>  It's more accurate to say that while they are somewhat interested in
>  that as an abstract idea, they are much more interested in making
>  their interface whizzier, which is fun

We are not working on whatever we personally consider interesting or
fun. OLPC has a management, a sales team, a deployment team, whose
feedback is essential to determine the priorities.

>  If someone came along with clean patches to make Sugar work better
>  with normal Linux/Unix software, I think they'd accept them.  (Some
>  patches to Gnome, KDE, and other window managers are also going to be
>  needed, at least if Sugar apps want to show their current SVG icons;
>  no other window manager supports drawing SVG icons.)

OLPC is trying to do planning in the open:

http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2008-April/012659.html

You are welcome to participate and push for the compatibility issues
to be prioritized very high and targeted for August.

Failing that yeah, the alternative is to send patches, like in any
other free software project. (As you can see from the sugar archives,
reviews are timely and the code most of the times is integrated).

Marco