[sugar] Sugar\Windows won't ship

Albert Cahalan acahalan at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 16:55:50 EDT 2008

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 3:46 PM, Joshua N Pritikin <jpritikin at pobox.com> wrote:

>  As I have posted before, I am not distressed by the inclusion of Windows
>  on the XO laptop, perhaps in a dual-boot configuration or whatever. What
>  would distress me is if Windows was not sold as an option. If laptops
>  could only be purchased with Windows, raising the price by the Microsoft
>  tax, that would be a cause for complaint.
>
>  I don't think OLPC intends to go that way. Windows is about more choice,
>  not less, right?

You're kidding I hope. Please don't.

Microsoft will never cooperate with dual-boot. They haven't
ever even bothered with false promises. Forget about it.
Dual-boot is obviously not in Microsoft's interest.

Microsoft will vigorously fight "sold as an option". Most likely
they will win any such fight. The retail version will be more
expensive than the bundled version. Bundling will be pushed
as a way to save money.

Sugar\Windows may help get a camel into the tent, but will
not actually ship. Small trials may use it, but some excuse
will be found to prevent actual Sugar\Windows deployments.

Microsoft has a **long** history of far worse tactics.